- I have really been getting into performance poetry, attending readings around the city and doing it at the National Youth Drama School as a taster in 2016 and then a full week course in 2017.
- Social activism to me is something that is designed to be seen. Personally, I don’t like angry activism because it gives those consuming it an immediate negative impression.
- I already love the work of Rupi Kaur and someone on the G+ community shared this link which led me to Kaur’s site and I really admire her strong, vocal feminist voice. The fact that she manages to potray it through her poetry is amazing and something I think about a lot, especially after I first read Milk & Honey. It is also wonderful how she has inspired other women to become vocally feminist and claim ownership of their own bodies in a society that tries to claim it for itself. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/13/artists-respond-female-body-censorship-online_n_7042926.html
- I bought Ben Fagan’s collection of poetry called Under the Table when I was 16 and his poem “Feminism” made a lasting impression on me as it approaches aspects of feminism in a gentle and exploratory way that gives the reader space to develop their own feelings towards it without realizing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhBaXjB5J-o&t=53s
- I found the inflammatory essays of Jenny Holzer which I really like as they are so bold, honest and unapologetic. http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/holzer-inflammatory-essays-65434/2
- The project I make has to fulfill a purpose to me. Otherwise, I won’t use it and get what I want to say, out. Because of this I am thinking of making a t-shirt with some feminist poetry painted on it as the outwardly feminist clothing I find makes me feel uncomfortable as it seems like the companies are just trying to latch onto a social movement to make money and do not actually understand it.
What will I do next?
- Look into more feminist poetry/words?
- Look into feminist fashion/other items of clothing used in social activism.
- Write my own thoughts down.